Pages

Who is your favorite original founding Avenger?

Playing Uncharted Changes My Mind On The Series

August 25, 2011


I know I'm pretty late to this, 4 years late to be exact, but I just beat my copy of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune which I just got this past Monday and holy crap! That game was amazing, it's such a shame that I've never played this game until recently. My whole look on the series has changed my mind and makes me want to have more.

At first I thought Uncharted was just a little adventure game that had to do with pirates and thieves and whatnot, it didn't sound that interesting to me. Watching the trailer for Uncharted 3 changed my mind and made me get into the series, so I of course decided to give the first game a chance. Let's just say, I'm really glad I played the game, despite it being pretty short.

A quick synopsis of the game for those who don't know much about Uncharted: Drake's Fortune; you play the role of Nathan Drake who is a treasure hunter. In the beginning of the game, you find a journal that belongs to Sir Francis Drake which takes you searching for El Dorado. Nathan and his companions aren't the only ones on the island though, there are others in search of El Dorado also. Little does everyone know though, the island the game takes place on has a mysterious secret.

When I first got to the island, I was amazed by how nice the jungle looked. I took my time just looking around and embracing the scenery of the island; I did the usual, you know, jump up pillars, jumped across rivers and shot a tucan. As I was progressing into the game and solving some puzzles, I thought to myself, "This really reminds me of Indiana Jones, just without the snakes and Naz-". My thought was cut off when I saw the U-boat that was owned by Nazis.


Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was filled with a great amount of platforming and shooting, it made a great mix; you would shoot henchmen, find a puzzle, jump around destroyed buildings, solve the puzzle, then shoot more henchmen. It might sound repetitive a bit, but it was still enjoyable and it became even more enjoyable after a major twist.

The Descendants were a huge twist for me, I wasn't expecting any creatures of any type in the game. They were surprising yet also very annoying since they came in packs and were killing me within one hit, they brought a great variety to the game though. I still can't wrap my head around the idea of Drake's Fortune having creatures like the Descendants, I seriously just thought it was all pirates and thieves and mercenaries. When the disturbing creatures showed up, not only did Drake's Fortune remind me of Indiana Jones, it also was reminding me of The Mummy.


The gameplay and the surprising creatures weren't the only things that made the game. The music was very different for me, it's something I never heard in any other game and it was very enjoyable. The sounds for the jungle and catacombs were great also. The sounds of the jungle brought it together, the great graphics and the realistic jungle sounds were a perfect combination. The catacombs also had a spooky sound to them, there were sound clips of people shrieking in pain.

All in all, Naughty Dog did an excellent job with this game, they made a game that was unique; it reminded me a bit of both Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter but with a more realistic look. Uncharted is now one of my favorite games and I plan on getting the second one tomorrow and then the third installment November 1st.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Reading Gamers © 2011 | Designed by Bingo Cash, in collaboration with Premium Wordpress Themes | Photography Wordpress Theme